Thursday 6 December 2012

X-Wing First Impressions


Constitution's day (and a holiday) in Spain, we decided to have a father-son afternoon, attending a X-Wing exhibiton game in my son's local games and cards shop. A good opportunity also to try distracting the little rascal from his Magic addiction... we'll see if the attempt succeed. 

Being a long time fan of the StarWars film saga (I still remember the thrill I felt watching the first film in 1977!!), I've been taking a close look to the game and the very positive reviews in different blogs I follow over the past few months. But today it was the first opportunity to actually "touch" and "feel" the game... and I have to admitt that it's a very nice and engaging product indeed.


Apparently based on the famous Wings of War (which I've never played), you command either a  Rebel Alliance or an Imperial spaceship wing. Each spacecraft and pilot have different features, but generally speaking the Rebel ships are stronger and better armed, an advantage which is offset by a larger number of Imperal ships on the table.

The turn sequence is easy: decide your movement orders (put in a covered marker), move (watch out those asteroids!!) , decide other actions (fix on a target, concentrate fire) that have influence in combat and fire (all simultaneously). Movement is resolved with some ad-hoc rulers (to calculate turns, forward movements and rolls). Combat is resolved with some 8-side dice;  the number of dice rolled depends upon the type of weapons (laser, proton guns, other...) and distance to target. 

 With a good mastery of the rules, a game can be played in around 60-90 minutes...         

Overall I came out of the game with very good impressions and looks like a strong candidate for a Christmas present. My son (13 years old in 5 weeks) also was delighted. My only 'but' remains the price: the basic box is €40 and each expansion kit (one ship with new features and pilots) has a €16 tag. I still have a few days to decide but my will is weaker each hour... the allure of the dark side of the Force is to strong to resist

14 comments:

  1. It's a great game: If you can afford it buy two starters, since you are going to want many ties and X-wings anyway.

    The expansions are actually full of stuff other than the ship too, so it's easy to see why they cost so much. If they are worth it only you can decide. You do get other unique pilots in the X-wing and Tie expansion too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Leif, in addition to the price my other concern is these guys entering into a GW spiral: getting you hooked in "more powerful and increasingly expensive" kits buying frenzy

      Delete
  2. Saw this being played in the club tonight. Seemed to be a lot of fun but the rebel player was bemoaning how points cheap the Tie's were - so the Empire player can field a lot of them in a game.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The game last night saw 6 Imperial vs 3 Rebel ships, and the Rebels won 5 to 1. From what I saw, you need to know very well the strengths and weaknesses fo your own and the foe's ships. That's ona aspect that I liked because it is a truly tactical game and the random factor (combat dice throws) are of limited impact on the game development

      Delete
    2. But that was the heart of the movies, being outnumbered.

      Delete
  3. The price is my only sticking point!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The initial price and the sustained financial effort that you may require over time; and as I replied to Leif above, I'm concerned about the temptation of these guys entering into a GW approach considering the initial success of the franchise. I estimated that to start with a good foot in the game we'll need the initial kit plus 2 Imperial and 1 rebel expansion kits, which means investing close to 100€... that's a demanding entry fee!

      Delete
  4. Well... that's my point. If you play the game, sure it's fine with just the starter, but you would want another ship... then another... then a third. So by getting another starter you are effectively getting 50% off on the third ship, compared to buying them separately.

    I bought a starter and one each of the expansions, so I have two X-wings and three ties now, and one Y-wing and one Tie advanced... but I want more :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, do you want more??... the Millenium Falcon will be shortly available, according to the guy running the game yesterday at a scale in proportion to the other ships in the film... a big boy to be deploy for sure

      Delete
    2. Of course I want more. I will buy millennium falcon and Slave 1 when they arrive, and I will probably buy a second starter too.

      Delete
  5. Es un juego muy divertido, como tuve ocasión de comprobar en nuestro Club; me encantó la partida, porque no es tan "facilón" como parece...

    Suerte con tus cuentas (me suena, me suena).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, de facilón nada. Los mecanismos de juego sí lo son en egenral (bastante clros y bien estructurados) pero la parte táctica tiene su miga. Eso es lo que más me ha atraido, siendo además (como soy) un veterano jugador de AirForce de Avalon Hill

      Delete
  6. One thing on price is the licence to make these. It will be very pricey and will have a time limit. Great if they get the stuff out in time and you get it but if sales do not hit required levels then the plug gets pulled. I think given the positive reviews and the two target audiences it will do well

    Ian

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Probably you are right about the cost of the franchise, although it does not solve my problem. I also agree that this game is clearly to be a best-seller

      Delete